Saturday, April 27, 2013

Obviously it's not for me to understand...

Obviously I’m not supposed to understand these things.

I went out this morning to do my first pass at looking for stoves. Sue suggested I check with my local appliance store. I don’t seem to have one of those. One of my swimmer friends wrote on my fb page, "Don't shop, eat out". You have to love a friend like that.

So I did go to look. It's amazing what people find important. Did you know they make a stove with what they call a "hearth window", straight on sides and bottom, arched on the top, and charge extra for it? You can also pay extra for grates over the burners made of cast iron. They're made to cover two burners and weigh a ton. I guess if you get those, you have somebody else to clean up spills and splatters when you cook.

I'm definitely not going for fancy and expensive. I cook most days, but I'm not really "into" cooking and doing fancy things. Just plain and basic for me. I went to Lowe's, Home Depot, and a Sears outlet place this morning - they're nearby. I'm over near our HHGregg on Wednesday, so I'll check that out then - although I'm looking at web sites, too. Whatever I get will have to include delivery, installation, and hauling the old one off.

I hadn't had a gas stove since we left Texas in 1962. In 1989, when we decided to change our house here to natural gas heat, I jumped at the chance to get a gas stove. Even after all those years, I never did like cooking on an electric stove.

Stay tuned for later developments.

======================================

We watched one of our favorite old “throw-away” movies tonight. Have you ever seen the 1988 Rocket Gibraltar, starring Burt Lancaster? It’s such a delightful movie. And it’s full of folks who have since made it big - Kevin Spacey, Bill Pullman, Macauley Culkin, Patricia Clarkson, even a bit part for David Hyde Pierce. Check it out sometime.

No comments: