Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Being creative


“…go into the arts. I'm not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something.”    Kurt Vonnegut
I’ve always said that we are all creative - each in his/her own way. And it doesn’t matter what it is. Creativity is not limited to what we usually think of as the “Arts”. Cooking, gardening, auto maintenance, horseback riding, teaching, sewing, computer design, the possibilities are endless.

Vonnegut had it right - you should definitely make creativity part of your life.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

In 1985, when I was temping, I was assigned to a company called Creative Output. I remember thinking, are they really creative. I am not, but I work well with creative people.

Yes, they were creative, in manufacturing systems, to my surprise. Did I work well with them? The companies changed, but I worked with those people for eight years!