Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A trip to the post office

After my visit to the post office this morning, I’ve come to think the USPS is really trying to cut costs and make the service more user friendly.

I went in to mail a 1st class padded envelope, going to a local address. I knew it wasn’t going to cost much, but I did think it should be weighed. There was a line, so I figured it’d take me 15-20 minutes or so.

A postal employee was standing in the lobby asking people if their transactions could be paid for with a credit or debit card. I hadn’t planned to do that, but - hey, I could go with that.

Did you know there was a machine in your post office lobby like the terminal at the airport where you can print your boarding pass? I didn’t. There’s a built-in scale where you can put your parcel, and a touch screen. The prompts are very easy to read and the directions simple. Then you put your card in the slot, and Voila! It prints out your postage sticker. Put it on your item and put it through the slot. Couldn’t be easier - and it took less than 5 minutes.

Give it a try the next time you go to your local post office.
===============================
Tree update: Nothing happened today. The guy came by, waited a while for his helper. The helper didn’t come, and he had gotten off yesterday with the key to the bobcat. So nothing was accomplished today. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
===============================
The Vietnamese dancers have very expressive hands, too.

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I've always found the Postal Service extremely helpful, long before I found their help online. When they began doing Priority and Express Mail, I backed off from the couriers unless I had a big package.

Of course, it's extremely good that our Post Office is right in the middle of town -- and it has a parking lot!