Saturday, May 28, 2011

Campo Volantin Footbridge

John’s latest course from the Great Courses of the Teaching Company is called “Understanding the World’s Greatest Structures: Science and Innovation from Antiquity to Modernity.” I’ve been watching with him and, although I don’t quite get all of the physics, I’m certainly enjoying the geometry and the architecture parts of the lectures.

The lecture he watched today was about the affect of iron construction on bridge building. And the last one he mentioned was the Campo Volantin Footbridge in Bilbao, Spain. What a fantastic design and construction. Click here for information and photographs of the bridge. Be sure to click on the link on the page where it says “aerial view”. Wow!

 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Harriet said...

That is an impressive bridge. It reminded me of the
new bridge
in Boston, which took forever to complete. I don't know if it's grander to see from a distance or to travel it.

Mickle in NZ said...

Ooo - the aerial view had me thankful to have feet on the ground - I guess the Mickle doesn't do heights!

What a great bridge to have near you, it looks so strong and has a useful looking design.

xxx Mickle and a soundly sleeping Zebby Cat (hooooray!!!!)

Mary Z said...

Oh, Mickle, this bridge isn't near us - it's in Bilbao, Spain. It's something I'd really like to see, though. Maybe we'll get there sometime.