Wednesday, December 08, 2010

The magic of friendship

It's been a busy day today. Swimming, then our swim group's Xmas covered-dish brunch. Such good food - nice this year - not quite as much sticky sweet stuff, more savory. One gal even brought a crockpot of winter-squash soup. Not the best thing for a buffet thing, IMO, but it was very good. We don't really exchange presents, but some bring little small things to pass out to everybody (like small potpourri bags, or a small calendar, etc.) I've been talking small jars of Margaret's goodies - easy for me.

Then we went for haircuts - always a good thing. While we were there, Vicki called to see if I wanted to go to lunch. I certainly didn‘t need lunch, after all the brunch goodies, but I went along just to get a chance to visit with her. I really hate not seeing her several times a week, so we grab lunches when we can. Then it was “soft clothes” for the rest of the day.

I have to say a few words about our “swim team”. I am constantly amazed and appreciative with this remarkable group of (mostly) women. Many of us met for the first time when this class started in early 2002. Something magical happened and the group of strangers became a group of good friends. We come to exercise, certainly, but the closeness of the friendship keeps us coming, too. And, it’s not an exclusive group. As new people happen into the class, they are immediately invited to “join” in with the “old hands”. We’ve been through marriages of children, births of grandchildren, deaths of family members, and deaths of members of the group. We are varied in our religious beliefs, in our politics, and in our backgrounds. We are all creative, and love to share what we do and enjoy. It is truly a magic group, and I can only wish that everyone could enjoy such close friendships.
======================================
These photos of gulls nesting on Grimsey were taken from a Zodiac.

 

 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love your reference to "soft clothes". My son refers to them as "squishy pants".

I have a pot-luck next week and am at a total loss for what to take. Soup, while unconventional, actually sounds like a pretty good idea!

Mary Z said...

I LOVE "squishy pants". We stole "soft clothes" from a friend - and I'll bet squishy pants shows up here, too. Thanks.

Soups are a big favorite around here. The cook brought styrofoam cups for serving.