Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Sunshine Award!



Wow! I’m thrilled and honored. L’empress, my fellow women’s basketball fan, has nominated me for a blogger’s Sunshine Award.

These are the rules:
Link the award to the person who gave it to me. (did that)
Answer questions about myself. (see below)
Nominate up to 10 bloggers for this award, and link my nominees to the post and comment on their blog, letting them know about the award. (see below)

The Questions:
Favorite number: I don’t really have one. I guess I could choose the Ace of trumps - since that always takes the trick in bridge.
Favorite non-alcoholic drink: Water and coffee.
Favorite animal: We‘ve had cats and dogs as pets, and loved them both. None now, and probably won’t have another pet. I love to watch penguins and the big cats.
Facebook or Twitter: I don’t “do” Twitter at all. I am on Facebook, but mainly just to keep up with our girls and grandkids. I rarely post, just read. I guess I’m just not of the appropriate generation.
My passion: Never just one - travel, knitting, double crostics, reading, family, art (in no particular order)
Favorite day of the week: I’ve been retired for years. They’re all pretty much the same, unless there is travel going on. Monday/Wednesday/Friday are always good days because those are swimming days.
Favorite flower: I love all flowers, and grow none. I have the brownest of thumbs, but do enjoy looking. I especially love fields of wildflowers.

I started blogging in 2005 to document my journey with breast cancer. After that episode, I pretty much let it lapse. I started again as a way to keep in touch with our girls and my Aunt Betsy while we were traveling. And it has become pretty much a daily exercise since then. Sometimes, I rant; sometimes I just talk about my day. I like to think about it as talking to my family and friends.

The blogging community is fabulous - a great bunch of folks - friendly and supportive. I’ve “met” people around the world, and we chat about wonderful things. I follow a number of blogs using Google Reader.

One of the first blogs I’ve followed regularly is Bev’s Airy Persiflage . I learned about her at a now-defunct discussion board called SeniorNet. She’s a delightful lady, and I hope to meet her in person later this summer.

The others in no particular order, include:
Indigo gives a good start to my day with her question(s) of the day. I don’t know how she’s able to come up with such fun questions every day.

Jenconsin has some terrific health issues to deal with. She shares this along with her husband and her delightful little boy.

Essiewb doesn’t post daily, but she always has something good to say. She has had to make major life changes, and has done so with incredible strength and grace. And she’s a fabulous knitter.

In Life on a Small Island , Sian lives in the Orkney Islands. We’ve been very near her tiny island, and would love to go back. And, she bought one of my paintings.

Jonathon Hemlock is one of the bloggers I found on That’s My Answer. He is retired and divides his time between Myrtle Beach and Toronto and considers himself a “Squirrelly Senior Citizen”.

Kwizgiver posts several times a day from Maine, frequently posting memes. It’s a good source for them.

I’ve just started following poolagirl on her blog, Life on the HMS Pie Rat. She’s a museum director in San Diego, where our granddaughter lives. Maybe I’ll get to meet her in person sometime.

Mickle posts occasionally from Wellington, New Zealand. We loved our visit to NZ, and wish we could go back sometime. She and her ZebbyCat would love to show us around.

The Dahn Report is about Bill’s life in Oregon, dealing with his semi-retirement and taking care of his elderly mother.

I love finding new bloggers from links on the ones I read regularly, and getting to know new folks all over the world. I’m sure I’ll be finding new ones from continuing to browse.

No comments: