Friday, March 02, 2012

A day of storms

I'm posting early tonight. Today has been nothing but storm and tornado warnings. There have been three lines of very strong storms marching through our area today. As I write this, we're between #2 and #3 - and the third one is predicted to be the worst. The first line came very near our house, but didn't spawn tornadoes until it had passed us. I was ready to head to the basement, but then it was gone. There was a lot of damage east of us. Then the sun came out and it was clear for a while.

Then the second line came through. It was wider, with more cells. Again, we were fortunate and they went either north or south of us.

And now, we watching the SEC women's basketball tournament (the Lady Vols beat Vanderbilt this afternoon), and waiting for the third line. As I write this, it's nearly 8:30 p.m. ET, and the storms should be over by midnight. We haven't lost power yet, but I thought I wouldn't push my luck and am posting this now.

We can only hope this line fizzles out as the temperatures cool down, but......
Hold those good thoughts that all in its path come through with minimal damage.
=================================================
This is a common sight at any traffic light in Saigon.

No comments: