Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Day 3

We're still having gorgeous weather - highs in the 70s and lows around 50 (my favorite weather!). We drove a bunch of interstate today, so I did more of the driving. And I got to drive through all the wonderful construction zones. BTW, avoid Wilkes-Barre, PA, on I-81 - It took more than 30 minutes to go 4 miles. John's SO sweet - he always "lets" me drive through the construction stuff.

After lunch, we took off on some back roads. We got lost a couple of times, but still saw some pretty countryside, and got to the Syracuse airport right on time to pick up Ann & Al (John's sister and BIL). We hadn't seen them since last September, and we always have a good time together.

We're in a little town south of Syracuse tonight, then will head to another little town near the PA line to visit with one of their cousins for the day tomorrow.

Questions to research: We've seen a lot of churches that has something like "Sons of the Brethren" in their names. That was a new one on me. Does anybody know about that? (can't find much in google). Also, I noticed a town in PA called "Loyalsock". I found a Wikipedia article about the town, but can't seem to find out how it got its name. Help!!!

Now it's time to crash!

1 comment:

pettigrj said...

Hi Mary -

Not sure about Sons of the Brethren, but the Brethren Church seems sort of like an updated version of the Amish - they believe in simplicity and pacifism, although most of them no longer wear the old-fashioned clothes or beards without moustaches.

Loyalsock comes from the local Indian tribe's word for "middle creek" - Lawi-sahquick.

I love a good research project....

Joe