Sunday, November 25, 2007

Cell phones


Today, I want to write about cell phones. Not to rant about them - just some observations. I've had one for several years. John didn't want one, so a couple of years ago, I just went out and got one for him. He complained, and rarely turns it on. But he does carry it when he's out and about, and even turns it on from time to time.

We've all experienced thoughtless people who don't turn off their ringers during concerts and performances. Or those who sit in restaurants with other people and talk incessantly. Frankly I don't know why their companions don't just get up and leave - I would. I did appreciate it when we were on the Delta Queen last summer, and a sign at the entrance to the dining room said, "No cell phones".

Today's subject, though, is prompted by two cell phone conversations that were foisted on an unwilling public by a really stupid woman. We were on the River Explorer, and were sitting in the main public lounge of the vessel. The woman came in, sat down, and started her conversation. She had a loud, carrying voice, and made no attempt to muffle her conversation. She was trying to make a plane reservation for a time immediately following the cruise. Everyone in the lounge was able to hear every word she was saying. It was a fairly long and involved procedure. At last, she was ready to make a purchase. And then, she proceeded to give the airline agent, and probably some 20 other people in the lounge, her full name, with spelling; her credit card number, with expiration date and code number; her birthdate; her home address, telephone number, and cell phone number.

I almost wrote all the information down, so I could give it to the woman to alert her to the danger she had put herself into. Wrong or right, I decided to mind my own business. But, anyone with half a brain and a pencil could have done serious damage to this lady's credit rating, and made her life a living hell for some time to come. Maybe I should have told her.

But, wait - there's more.................

That was the first full day on the week-long cruise. On about the fourth day, this same woman is back in the lounge and, you guessed it, on the cell phone again. To another unwilling audience, she told her friend on the other end of the conversation about how sick she'd been for the last few days. We got a glorious all-but-technicolor description of her vomiting and diarrhea, minute-by-minute. We were extremely glad that she had been so sick she had to stay in her bed and the servers took her meals to her, so she wasn't out in the boat infecting the rest of us. Now, folks - this isn't something I'd talk about so graphically with anyone except maybe my spouse or my doctor. And certainly not in a public space.

I guess maybe I intend this as a warning to all cell phone users - or maybe just a plea for sanity. Think - for God's sake - THINK about what you're saying in a public place. Other people are listening!

Today's picture is of a lovely maple tree on a sunny day.

No comments: