Friday, November 22, 2013

22 November 1963

All of us who were alive then remember what we were doing when we heard "the news".

I was a 27 year old housewife, at home with kids, watching a live local TV show, "Noon".  Of course, they broke into the show with the news Kennedy had been shot, then came back with the news that he had died.  After that, of course, the news was constant for the rest of the weekend. 

I wonder what our girls remember.  They were then 7, 6, 4 1/2, and 2. 

I remember where I was when Franklin Roosevelt died in 1945.  I was 9, at a neighborhood park.  I ran home to tell my mother.  I found her in tears - she had heard the news on the radio.

We don't forget those times.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I hadn't thought about FDR this week, but I do remember. I had to be less than six, as my brother was the baby in the crib; my sister was born when I was six.

What I remember was my mother just standing still, leaning on the mop, and not answering when I told her the baby was calling her. Years later she told me she had been listening to news coverage of FDR's funeral. (And she admired John Daly from that day onward.)