Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Now what?


I've been feeding birds since I moved here and have my lovely deck.  It's been fun to watch them.  When I first started I had a problem with raccoons cleaning out the feeders overnight.  So I've just been bringing the feeders at night - putting them out in the mornings.  And recently the raccoons seem to have moved on to greener pastures. There has been a feral cat living under my deck, being fed by my next door neighbors.  The neighbors moved a couple of months ago, and I haven't seen the cat in a week or so.  In the past, I've not had any problems with squirrels, and I assumed that was because the cat was big enough to keep them away. 

Well, guess what!  Now I have a squirrel, trying all sorts of ways to get to the goodies in the feeders.  As long as I'm sitting in my chair, I can get up and run him off.  But, obviously, I can't do that all the time.  And I have no clue has to what I can rig up to keep him away from the feeders.  Any suggestions?  (And getting a cat or dog is NOT an option!)
----------------------------------------------

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:

The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else. -Theodore Roosevelt, 26th US President (1858-1919



From <http://wordsmith.org/words/today.html>

No comments: