Monday, February 14, 2005

Good news/Bad news

John and I went to take courses at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC (near Murphy, NC). That is such an incredible place - all sorts of classes in various arts and crafts - knitting, weaving, spinning, painting, woodworking, cooking, music, making musical instruments, photography, pottery, blacksmithing, etc., etc. John wanted to take a class in wood-turning, so I went, too, and took a class in gourd decorating. We both had a lot of fun, learned lots, and probably won't do those particular crafts again. We're ready to go back to the Folk School again, though, and take some other courses.

For the bad news: I had my annual mammogram in January. They called me back to make more films, and some irregularities were found. Last Tuesday, I had a stereotactic needle biopsy done, and the results showed malignancy. This has definitely not been a happy week for us and our family. It's the first time anyone in our immediate family has had to deal with a diagnosis like this. John and I have been to talk to the people at the Breast Resource Center at the hospital, and have been given more general information than we can digest. I know very little about my cancer specifically at this point. I have a followup appointment with the surgeon tomorrow morning. I hope at that time, we'll get lots more specific information, with options and recommendations, so we can make decisions as to the type and timing of treatment. I'm trying very hard not to do excessive worrying when I don't know what I'm worrying about. And I'm also trying to keep from jumping too far ahead before I have enough information.

I have a fanastic support system - my wonderful John, our daughters, sons-in-law, and grandchildren, my dear friends in person, and my virtual friends on SeniorNet. I know I'm going to be depending on them for all the love and support they can give me in the weeks and months ahead.

No comments: