Monday, July 09, 2007

How embarrassing!


Guess I have to 'fess up. I finally found my old glasses last night. I'm so embarrassed. After making such a stink, I finally found them on the kitchen table, within arm's reach. What a dumbbutt! They were in a case that looked like one of John's and it just never crossed my consciousness. Sigh........ Well, at least the mystery is solved.

Bridge was this afternoon and, for a change, it was GREAT! I had some super cards, and John and I played well together. We wound up playing as partners two rounds - it doesn't usually happen that way. The second time, we made an unbid slam. And on the next hand, John bid and made 7 no-trump!!! We had all the goodies, and he just took everything from the top. It was SWEET! And we got 2350 points for that half-hour round. It's about time we got some decent cards. And the group is growing - we had six tables.

Are y'all watching the PBS program, Simon Schama: The Power of Art? It's a great 8-part series featuring one artist in each segment. The 5th one was on tonight, featuring Rembrandt. I remember the first "old master" I saw and was aware of. It was in an exhibit at Cheekwood in Nashville, probably 30 years ago. John was mesmerized by a daVinci drawing (understandably). I moved to a portrait a few feet away, a Rembrandt portrait of a young man. I was frozen to the spot, and tears ran down my cheeks. I remember nothing else about that exhibit. I've seen a number of Rembrandt's portraits and self-portraits since then, and they still stop me in my tracks. And his drawings can still move me to tears.
Today's picture is another of Margaret's: Brothers Matt & Jesse pitching horseshoes.

No comments: