Monday, January 22, 2018

"First World Problem"

It's been a crazy day for me - unlike my usual do-nothing days.  I went to swimming and coffee.  Then to the doctor for my 6-month check.  I got the second pneumonia shot, concern about my blood pressure (may have to increase the strength of my Rx), and appointment for July.  Then about 45 minutes with my financial counselor.  I'm working on getting that last investment John had that we thought had been tended to.  We got it mostly done, and there are some papers and signatures I need to gather to send in with the filled-out forms.  Then the phone trails started.

First I called the company with the investment.  One of the documents says it has to be generated within 90 days prior to filing with them.  I have a copy of the document, but it is dated in 2015, so...  I played the "little old lady card", saying I was 82 (well, almost) and it would be extremely difficult for me to have to go to the courthouse to get a new document.  The nice gal who was helping me put me on hold and called the courthouse and got me a local number to call.  OK, did that.  But that didn't work either.  The file is closed, so they can't issue me a new document - call the lawyer who handled the probate.  So I called the lawyer's office and, of course, had to leave a message.  So I'm currently waiting for that return call.  Sighhhhhh!


And then I got another thing in the mail addressed to John that says "he" still owns one share of stock, and I need to send the original certificate in.  Well, of course, we haven't had anything like that for years.  And the fee to get the share transferred to my name is almost as much as the share itself is worth.  So I need to call them to see what to do about that.

I know this is all a "first world" problem, and I shouldn't complain.  But I do hate being wrapped up in all this red tape.  The moral to this story is put any and all financial things into joint accounts or "pay on death to" status.

Don't leave your heir(s) with all this stuff to deal with.

No comments: