Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Miscellany

When we got home, there was a phone message from the chiropractor I had seen last fall. Our insurance had wound up covering some services that I had paid for at the time, so I had a credit balance. They told me I could use it up with a massage. Hmmmmmm, let me think. OK - that took about a nanosecond. I called this morning, and went in this afternoon to use up my credit. The massage was wonderful. She said she could tell I’d been walking a lot, and the thigh muscles were really tender. All the body parts felt better afterwards.
------------------------------------
I’ve had trouble with my left foot forever. There was a congenital defect (metatarsus adductus - bent inward at the instep) - not bad enough to do anything about for years. But then the deformity gradually increased and finally was causing me enough trouble to see about fixing it. The orthopedic surgeon did a major reconstruction, straightening the foot, leaving pins in the great, 2nd, and 3rd toes. This was in 2003. Since then, the correction has gradually overcorrected, and now the great toe is bent outward at about 45 degrees, and the 4th toe has overlapped # 2 and 3. Ugly, but it hasn’t been a problem with shoes or causing any pain until relatively recently. And after all the walking I did on this trip, I’m now ready to think about the possibility of getting some more repair done.

I called to make an appointment with the doctor who did the original surgery. The first appointment they could give me is in October. I took the appointment, but I’ll be seeing my family doc and my rheumatologist long before then. Maybe they’ll have some other suggestions.
------------------------------------
We had about 2.5” of rain over the last couple of days. It was in the 80s with miserable humidity this afternoon. Welcome to summer in the south.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Why do we never get a satisfactory report from a podiatrist? The last one I saw told me basically there was nothing that could be done unless I did it immediately, taking six weeks convalescing. I had neither the time nor the insurance.

I didn't go back because he said I was getting too old for it. I was fifty-seven.