Wednesday, October 15, 2008

An easier day

Definitely an easier day today. I had to go to the Hobby Lobby across town at the HM (Huge Mall) to get some yellow yarn for the afghan I'm making, and then order some blue and purple on line. I should get it before I'm ready for it.

Vicki and I got more straightening done at the Gallery this morning. Things were a big calmer, and we were both able to think and work at less than a frantic pace. She had had a lot of inquiries about a piece of Jean's pottery that was on display. It's definitely not for sale (was Jean's wedding present to Vicki and Roger). I looked in the garage, and found a couple of boxes of pottery, so I'll take that to see if any of it will work for display and, hopefully, for sale.

John put out our new Obama sign this morning. And, so far, it's still there. We shall see. Early voting started in Tennessee today, and in our county, over 4000 people voted today. Assuming that holds, we're going to have a very large turnout this year. We kept the classical music station on all evening - avoiding tonight's debate. Just couldn't take another one. I'm SO ready for this election to be over.

In honor of yesterday's gorgeous full moon, today's photo is of Io (one of Jupiter's moons) from the Astronomy Picture of the Day several months ago.
















Blog Action Day - this was new to me, but obviously, this is an annual thing, and somebody, somewhere decides on the subject. Today's subject is Poverty. It's certainly a huge problem throughout the world. In our area, we're always reading about various organizations going to third-world countries to help with various needs, or collecting money for various causes. I don't question that these causes are worthy. But I wonder why a local group feels it has to go to Central America or to Africa to hold a medical clinic or to build houses for homeless people. There are certainly similar needs right here in our community. But somehow, charity at home doesn't seem to have the same glamour as that in a foreign country, and certainly cannot draw as much money in contributions. Just an observation............

No comments: