Thursday, August 02, 2007

Oh, Joy!


Oh, Joy! Oh, Rapture! I have a cleaning lady. And not only that, but she is starting next Tuesday morning - the day before Ann & Al get here. What could be better than that!

It is just miserably hot and humid here. I really hate feeling like I need to take at least two showers every day, and change clothes a couple of times. But then, as John says, it's AUGUST - what do you expect! Well, OK - but I still don't have to like it.

YMCA update: They are working very hard to have at least part of the facility open by Saturday. When asked if it could be as long as another week, they said absolutely not. I do hope that's the case. I'm not going back to the downtown Y. I couldn't get any kind of a workout in that warm water.

The film of the bridge collapse in Minneapolis is awesome. What a terrible things to have experienced. Surely the loss of life will increase considerably as the vehicles are recovered from the river and in the crushed parts of the bridge. I hate to get a political question out of this tragedy, but it was mentioned on the news tonight that the Republican National Convention is to be in Minneapolis next summer. I have to wonder if there will be some really quick work done to get a new bridge built to replace this one. Could they do it in a year? How sad it is that our political situation is such that I would even consider such a possibility.

An interesting idea: a letter writer to the paper suggested that, if the Iraqui Parliament can take a month's vacation, the U.S. troops should also take a month's vacation. They could just stay in the camps and Green Zone, enjoy the air conditioning, and give Iraq the same attention the Parliament is giving to the country. Since the U.S. Congress is due to take a vacation later this month, perhaps the troops could take off then, too.

Today's photo is from a guest photographer. Gin & Jim have just discovered the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens in Washington, D.C. They were nice enough to share some of their photos with us, and I'm going to share one with you.

No comments: